Diaper cakes are pretty popular, and why not, they are so cute, practical and not too expensive. I threw a baby shower for my friend and made this one for her as the table center piece. It was very easy to do, and the total cost was about $25-$30, and I just saw someone charging $78 dollars for one pretty much exactly to mine. These are also extremely boy/girl versatile, you can pick different themes, colors, pretty much the sky is the limit.
So, Directions, I will give directions based on the cake I made, but you can obviously tweak it how you want/need.
First you need:
1. Pack of diapers (I bought the newborn ones because they come with the most, the Huggies newborn ones are about $20, and there is 84, to make a 3-tier cake, you will need about 75 diapers. I bought the Luvs brand (I think they were around $16), they are cheaper than Huggies and Pampers and the diapers are mostly white). *this obviously is the bulk of the cost
I got the rest of my supplies at the dollar store
2. Thick ribbon (I bought two things of ribbon)
3. Flowers (I bought small pink ones-two bouquets)
4. pack of Rubber bands
5. Stuffed animal for the top
6. Big bottle of baby powder
7. A serving platter to put cake on
- To start, just roll up all the diapers and put a rubber band around the middle. Try to roll them up so that the most of the colored part or picture is rolled up inside.
- Then grab your baby powder and start putting your rolled diapers around it. I put about eight rolled diapers around it, then grabbed a big rubber band and rubber banded them all around the baby powder. Sometimes it is easier to work with someone to help hold the diapers up till you get them rubber banded in place (or the ribbon will hold them when you are done with the first tier).
- Do 3-4 layers around the baby powder (or however big you want your cake, and how you want it to look) then measure the ribbon to fit around the tier and just safety pin it. *You may want to wait to do the ribbon till the last just in case you need to add another layer to make it look right, or a couple rolled diapers here and there.
- A little part of the baby powder will be sticking up from your first diaper tier, and you just add onto of that, adding rolled diapers around the baby powder on top of the first tier. I did two layers of rolled diapers around it.
- Now the third top tier was just set on top, I just grabbed one rolled diaper and worked my way around it adding diapers till it resembled a roll of toilet paper. Now set it on top and see how it looks.
- Add diapers here and there where ever you think it needs it, then measure the ribbon for each tier and safety pin it on.
- Then grab your flower bouquet and start cutting off the flowers. Make sure you leave about 1 inch of stem to push into the diapers. Then do just that, put a flower on top of each diaper, making sure you push the stem part inside to secure the flowers.
- Top with your stuffed animal (or cake topper) and set on cake platter.
*for a boy cake, instead of the flowers, you can add the crinkle cut shredded paper on top of the tiers, or whatever else your creative mind can think of.
I am linked to: