So the little taco mixes are fine and dandy for a quick dinner, but I made these real tacos the other night and my kids (even mr. picky) had seconds, and my husband said "Don't ever make the other tacos again." I got this recipe from my Mom and she got it from a neighbor. There are a lot of ingredients, but it's not too bad and it is well worth it! In my Mom's words When you make it, everyone will think you are wonderful!"
Cook one chopped onion in oil in a fry pan. When almost done, add
- about 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (I added 1 tsp. because we like it spicy)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 teaspoons of Coriander (I only had coriander in the seed form, looks like this)
So I just put 2 tsp. of them in a little ziplock bag, and crushed them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer; however I think a rolling pin would work fine also. They looked like this when I was done.
(And just FYI, did you know that coriander is the seed of a small plant and the leaves of the plant are cilantro, I did not know that)
Stir together. Add 2 lbs. of hamburger and cook, breaking up meat and scrapping bottom until beef is no longer pink. Then add:
- 1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons of cider vinegar (I didn't have cider vinegar so I used regular white vinegar)
Bring to a simmer uncovered until liquid has reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Then enjoy!